A need for service and a desire for the people of Fayetteville and Cumberland County to have this service was the beginning of Wiseman's Mortuary.
On July 18, 1970, Walter L. Wiseman, a local Embalmer and Funeral Director for L.E. Garris Funeral Home saw the need for another Funeral Home in this area. Mr. Wiseman attended public schools and Livingstone College in Salisbury, North Carolina. He entered the mortuary field in 1943, serving his apprentice training under Mr. A.R. Kelsey at Noble and Kelsey Funeral Home in Salisbury, North Carolina. Upon completion of his apprentice training, Mr. Wiseman entered Military Service.
After serving his tour with the U.S. Navy, he entered Cincinnati College of Embalming and later took a post graduate course at Atlanta College of Mortuary Science. He later pursued the mortuary field at several Funeral Homes in North Carolina and New York, the last being L.E. Garris Funeral Home of Fayetteville, North Carolina. For Mr. Wiseman, acquiring the present facility was another step toward attempting to maintain modern first class service and adequate space. Mr. Wiseman was a successful owner and businessman.
After his departure on February 5, 1982, Wiseman Mortuary continued to operate, but under the management of Lenora and Tryphina Wiseman, the wife and daughter of Walter Wiseman.
Lenora Wiseman became a licensed Funeral Director on April 11, 1972 and Tryphina Wiseman became a licensed Funeral Director and Mortician on June 23, 1986. They too saw a need for the citizens of Cumberland County. After much consideration, they began to construct the new Wiseman Mortuary.